Our preferences for texture range widely and are greatly influenced by changes in skin type, environment, and culture. These differences range from light milky lotions to thick butters. Environmental factors have a big impact on how sensory characteristics are perceived everywhere around the world. Whether it’s a cold winter or a hot, humid summer, the needs of the skin change and call for a wide variety of cosmetic textures.
However, despite climate differences, there are common requirements across the planet, such as:
- Pleasure upon application
- Moisturisation and comfort
- Naturality and care for the environment.
Gattefossé has created an innovative sensory emulsifier in response to the demand for adaptable ingredients that satisfy the demands of global customers. Based on a proprietary method, this component responds to the environment in which we live and guarantees enjoyment to all users. Natural waxes are transformed and functionalised.
Emulium® Mellifera MB is the first emulsifier designed to meet the expectations of all cosmetic users
Emulium® Mellifera MB forms a soft and ultra-light film on the skin’s surface, providing a pleasurable touch and protection from seasonal variations. It is created from natural ingredients using green chemistry. Beeswax and jojoba wax are reacted with vegetable polyglycerol to change the texture into a soft and homogeneous butter that possesses active properties. This functionalised wax butter is then combined with polyglyceryl-6 distearate and cetyl alcohol, in a precise composition designed to optimise emulsification and texturising capacity.
Sensoriality and activity
- Fine and light sensation on the skin
Emulium® Mellifera MB creates textures of great beauty and fineness, characterized by a white and glossy luxurious aspect. The sensation on the skin is light and smooth, providing a barely perceptible residual film that drapes the skin with comfort. (1)
- Auto-adaptation to climate
Emulium® Mellifera MB is the first ingredient to auto-adapt to the environment
- In cold or dry conditions, it creates a soft, comfortable film of protection on the skin.
- In hot and humid conditions, Emulium® Mellifera MB stabilises the sensory properties, leaving the skin less heavy and less greasy with a lower perceptible film. (2)
- Application delight
The textures formulated with Emulium® Mellifera MB bring pleasure upon application whatever the skin type. After the first application, the fresh sensation and easy absorption were noted by the panellists. 100% of volunteers said the product suits their skin. After 3 weeks of use, the textures continued to delight all volunteers. (3)
- Long-lasting moisturisation
Emulium® Mellifera MB brings intense immediate and long-lasting moisturisation to the skin: +43% after 30 minutes, + 40% after 8 hours. (4) After only one application, 100% of panellists confirm their skin is visibly better hydrated (3).
- Visible improvement of skin appearance
When the skin feels good, the results are visible and were perceived by the panellists. Confirmed by a dermatologist, Emulium® Mellifera MB brings highly significant improvement to the quality of the skin. A formulation with Emulium® Mellifera MB gave a 77% increase in skin radiance, +68% skin texture fineness, +58% smoothness, +35% skin tonicity aspect, visibly re-plumped and moisturised skin. (5)
Formulation and applications
To find out more about easy formulations and applications with this emulsifier, download the brochure here
Emulium® Mellifera MB brings a sensory solution to global consumer expectations, bringing delight upon application and visible efficacy.
Created and formulated by teams across the world, Emulium® Mellifera MB allows the creation of stunning, luxurious textures that bring pleasure and activity. Benefits include:
- Allows the formulation of a wide range of textures suitable for all skin types and climates
- Creates natural emulsions with white and luxurious appearance
- Shows significant moisturising properties and visibly improves skin texture.
Draped in a soft and barely perceptible protective veil, the skin, protected from seasonal extremes, is visibly more radiant and beautiful.
Characteristics of Emulium® Mellifera MB:
– O/W emulsifier (pellets)- PEG-free
Applications are suitable for the following:
– Skin care
– Colour cosmetics
– Sun care
– Natural and organically certified formulations
– Adapted to sensitive and hyper reactive skin (clinically tested).
– White and glossy textures
– Very low residual film
– Smooth and comfortable after-feel.
- Sensorial study carried out by a sensorial panel on 20 textures
- Sensory analysis, in tropical conditions, of a cream with 1% Emulium® Mellifera MB wax butter vs placebo
- Use test on 21 volunteers with very dry to oily skin (22-50 years old) – Applications twice a day on the face during 21 days – Emulsion with 4% Emulium® Mellifera MB
- Corneometry test on 10 volunteers with dry skin (22-68 years old) – Measurements at T 30 min, T 4 H, T 8 H vs T 0. Single application on the forearm area – Emulsion with 4% Emulium® Mellifera MB vs non treated area
- Dermatological scoring and self-assessment on 21 Asian volunteers with very dry to oily skin (22-50 years old) – Applications twice a day on the face during 21 days – Emulium® Mellifera MB at 4% in a simple emulsion containing no active ingredient